Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Live versus Computer Classical Music

I first experienced the situation you described when I was a teenager and sitting in row 5 at a live Philadelphia Orchestra concert, where they played a George Enescu piece. This would have been in the late 1950's. Previously, at live concerts my seats had been far back. Later, when I was paying for tickets with my own money I eventually was able to afford seats in on the floor around row 20 in Symphony Hall, Boston. Here the imaging wasn't quite so dramatic, but the effect you describe was still present plus a nice left-right balance.

There are some stereo recordings that I have that capture much of this effect, typically real stereo recordings made with a Blumlein pair. Sitting in near field with eyes closed one can hear an enormous sound stage that goes way beyond the boundaries of the room. Most people have their systems set up for "hi-fi" listening, which does not sound like real instruments. There will be bass boom due to poor speakers or room resonances and excessively bright high frequencies due to room interactions between tweeter radiation patterns and room liveliness, Getting realistic stereo sound must address these issues through proper system setup. There should be no digital glare on clean recordings. Good recordings are out there if one searches.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.