Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Lossless?

I mostly agree with Cut-Throat. My CD 'rips' usually sound better than Spotify Premium but the streaming service is so convenient and the audio quality isn't bad. I sometimes have it running in the background for hours while I work from home.

But if you want to 'stream' your own CD 'rips' to the Squeezebox or other streaming audio player, you will still need a PC, software to 'rip' your CDs, disk space for storing your ripped music files, a backup disk or two for backing it all up, and discipline to do the backups and test them occasionally.

Just my 2-cents worth but if you're going to need a PC anyway, why not just attach a DAC to the PC and presto! you now have a PC music system. Add the Squeezebox for a secondary setup for streaming to it in another location.

Of course, this all depends on your situation. If your PC and audio system are conveniently located in the same listening area it's a breeze to add a PC music system. If you need music in another area of the home, streaming to something like the Squeezebox is ideal.

I had my main listening setup in the basement with Mac Mini, DAC, preamp, amps, speakers, etc. I had a Squeezebox up in the kitchen attached to a small integrated amp. That setup worked out great. When I was in the basement, I would listen to the main system. When up in the kitchen/family room I would fire up the Squeezebox.

Good luck with whatever approach you take.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Lossless? - AbeCollins 09:18:59 08/12/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.