Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: "I wouldn't want to be in the "PC business"."

Nope, better to be in the bling business.

Apple started out making toys. So did Radio Shack. The notion that you could actually use them for work was foreign in those mainframe days. I think more than anything else Visicalc changed our perception of what was possible. Suddenly the delirious thought that we could absolve ourselves of having to suffer the mainframe meatballs in their air-conditioned palaces and do truly useful numerical analysis at our desks was irrestable. And we could even type things with Wordstar! Farewell VT-100's...

But Apple, while greatly benefiting from Apple II business sales never lost their toy focus, hence the solid-state walkmans. The Lisa is what happens when a toy company tries to make a business machine by copying someone else's UI.

The IBM PC (and I started with the very first one) ran circles around the Apples for work because it wasn't intended to be a toy. But time has passed and now the toys have gotten good enough that for very routine work they are satisfactory. And as toys, they excel, hence my two iPads! But as tools, well the one's that mimic real computers aren't too bad...

Ol' Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.