Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Sonic Studio Amarra 3.0 with Impulse Response Correction

Support for 384/24 would be one reason to try the Amarra version of Direc Live. Unfortunately, and surprisingly, this question has received no direct responses either here or on Audiogon.

When I tried Amarra, Pure Music and Audirvana Plus as trial versions a little over a year ago, Amarra was dry sounding through my system compared to Pure Music, which was the most musical and best sounding player of the three. I did play with the equalizer in Amarra at the time but still did not enjoy the sound as much as I did through the Pure Music player.

I recently tried a frequency sweep using the Stereophile Test Disc 2 and by ear I found pretty even response from my system/room, from the lower midrange through the treble with a minor/slight suck out at about 80-100 Hz, which I should be able to easily fix by increasing the range of my sub.

Although I know Steve Nugent likes the full Amarra version, and uses the EQ to room correct at shows, if it is that good a player I would have expected more response to my question. I suspect there is more to the players than EQ and there must be some reason I liked Pure Music best in my system. Considering the cost of Amarra with iRC and the mic, I am inclined to either keep using the Pure Music version I already have, which I play using their memory play and less-is-more modes, or maybe upgrade to their recently released 2.0 version for a fraction of the money I would pay for Amarra with iRC and the XTZ mic.

Thanks Kal for the heads up on Direc, which can be used with Pure Music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.