Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Good stuff ...

In December 2012, we compared some some USB cables. Compatibility can be a very real issue. Why, to a self-powered DAC, should a missing power line inside the USB cable matter? It clearly can. Some have experienced incompatibility issues: a ‘power-less’ USB cable (i.e. one where the power conductors are missing or not connected) only worked on their Windows machines. On all of their Macs, the Mac wouldn’t ‘see’ the connected DAC so it would never show up as a selectable audio device.

As it turned out, I had zero problems with the Isolate cable going from my MacBook to my Wavelength Audio Cosecant USB DAC v3 or from a Mac G5 to a friend’s Musical Fidelity V-DAC. When I mentioned this to Michael, he replied "I suppose it adds to the mystery of compatibility but it’s a fact. I believe USB is short for ‘Unexplainable Shit Begins!'"*

As for the performance:
Talk about background silence! Whether due to the absence of the power lead or some other factor, we found it to be the most open, smooth yet properly faceted and tonally secure cable in the bunch. With it vocalists and instruments sounded most authentic thanks to the transparent, naturally relaxed and correctly metered performances coming from a blacker backdrop. The Isolate was more candid and revealed more space than the Wireworld Ultraviolet but not by a wide margin. I definitely preferred the former’s bass coherence as well. We observed that the Ultraviolet was comparatively a bit more muted when working its way through musical subtleties probably due to a higher noise floor. Still, it was not nearly as grainy as the ‘stock’ USB. But neither the Ultraviolet nor the Quad Braid could purr as seductively in the mids or bass. The Isolate made my shoulders drop (a good thing) yet kept my mind alert with attack and decay that were less blunted than the Quad Braid. Music coming through the Isolate was more musically refined and less regimented than through any of the other cables. In the scheme of things I’d call it a good value and bought the cable for my long-term listening pleasure.

If you aren't quite noticing or accepting what is really going on in the present,
but are responding based on your thoughts or feelings about what ought to be,
then you are apt to collide with what is really going on.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Good stuff ... - -æ- 14:42:15 07/30/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.