Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

My new low-cost office system

Originally I just wanted a pair of external powered speakers so I could listen to streaming radio in the background. I ended up with a Klipsch 2.1 set-up that I found for a good price and that served me well for seven years until it failed recently. What to do? Though mainly for background use I had got used to listening at higher volumes in the evening when I had a deadline and my co-workers didn't. So I really wanted a good sounding replacement, but on-the-cheap.
I searched for recommendations and found a few and the $150+ range. I wondered about those TAD-designed Pioneer speakers that have been highly praised as they are in that price range but I didn't have an amplifier to driver them with. Then, one of my searches, I saw a comment about using passive speakers with a 'T-amp', whatever that is. If you don't know, a 'T-amp' is a chip-based switching amplifier originally made by Tripath (now owned by Cirrus Logic) available in many low-price incarnations. I settled on the DTA-1 by Dayton Audio ($35 from Parts Express) with the $130 Pioneer speakers and I am very happy.
The speakers are small, as speakers go, but a bit on the large side for a desktop, though I am able to accommodate them on a shelf that sits just in front of my desk. The amplifier is great, no hiss or hum. Music is so much better than the old 2.1 system even at low listening levels.

Highly recommended
13DoW

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - My new low-cost office system - 13th Duke of Wymbourne 15:20:50 07/29/14 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.