Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Crazy world of music servers out there..

By coincidence, what happened to you happened to me, my trusty XP machine also died. It was a purpose-built server with fanless power supply, eSATA, etc.

Researching the state of music servers today is enough to give one a brain aneurysm, with many people vehemently proclaiming one is better than the other, etc. Some key words I've run into:

Jplay, JCAT usb card, SoTM USB card, JRiver, C.A.P.S., Windows 2012 Server, Audiophile Optimizer, various batteries and linear power supplies for various sound cards and Mobo's, good old Foobar, Foobar4JplayMini, various forms of Mac Mini, various forms of uber-expensive "audiophile" servers, etc, etc.

To buy myself some time to research things further, I retooled an old 12" Lenovo Ideapad with Via Nano processor and Windows XP. Fabulous thing is it has an expressCard slot, for which I got an eSATA card to connect to my off-board eSATA hard drive, which carried my music. Sometimes I just run it off the battery, but honestly, I don't think sound changes much.

So far, it sounds very good connected to my asynchronous USB DAC.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Crazy world of music servers out there.. - Jon L 21:41:55 07/28/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.