Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Anyone replaced their Laptop with a Surface 2 ?....................

C-T, coincidentally, the thought crossed my mind last week that, just for kicks, I could later buy an original Surface Pro (not the 2) and hack it down to a base install of cMP.

These may soon start being dumped as used models in exchange for recent models. Some folks will want a more powerful version of the Pro...but we don't need it to be so. In fact, for cMP and other great audio software we can use, and may even prefer, "relatively wimpy". I do wonder if Intel skimped on the SSE extensions. As long as SSE3 extensions are still covered, hell, one could even use HQPlayer (though options below may also be good for HQP usage). In any event, I've heard some great SQ from cMP/Foobar combos recently. I suspect that Surface Pro > USB DSDDAC could be a terrific combination.

Likewise, one could hack the non-Intel Surface 2 (non-x86 CPUs) to perhaps use Android audio apps....with a little hacking. Or, simply get one of the better Android tablets that have USB output...and hack as needed.

There are several paths. However, if you want to use the very same tablet for something else also, then you will probably be compromising the best SQ that each tablet/system combo may be able to deliver.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.