Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: thoughts on Spotify connect on the bluesound node vs. Chromecast with google music unlimited

As Charlie mentioned, Apple is often a good source for used Macs and another one is http://macsales.com. Amazon will sometimes discount new Mac Minis but just barely.

I wouldn't expect them to be hugely discounted, especially the newer models, as Macs tend to hold their value. As such, I would weigh the used price vs paying just a bit more for a brand new one if buying a very recent or current model.

Any of the ones with Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processor will be very recent or current models. If it has a buil-in DVD slot, it's an older unit. Older ones will still work fine but I wouldn't go much older than about 2010.

A basic Mini with 4GB of memory will work great. 4GB has been the factory standard 'base' memory for a while now. You can easily expand it later should you want to take advantage of software that offers a 'memory play' feature.

I have mine hooked up to a 32" TV in the corner of my office. I can see album artwork and such from my desk but the text is a little small. I also use the iPad with free "Remote App" so even though the Mini and TV are across the room, the iPad used as a remote control offers good visibility.

Good luck.

My Office Setup

iPad on top of Mini is with me at my desk when I'm listening

The Rogue Integrated Amp

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.