Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Question for Smart People, Lights ON or OFF

Could be psycho-acoustic. Have someone turn on / off the lamp while you wear a blindfold and listen for sonic changes then! ;)

Fluorescent ballasts are bad. Compact fluorescent ballasts are worse. These all affect power quality because they have currents with significant harmonic distortion figures (100%) and crest factors as high as 20.

If someone is purchasing high buck power cords and power conditioners, I'd say the first order of business is an overview of the connected load in the house and it's effect on over-all power quality. You can have a pro assess the power quality in your home with a power quality meter. There are ways to trap harmonics with isolation transformers, and it never hurts to have the grounding of your system reviewed either. A highly recommended approach is dedicated circuit to the audio room just for audio gear (no lights or other plugs or devices on them) with over-sized wire. Sometimes guys go as far as to install shielded power cable, but whether or not this kind of noise immunity is necessary often remains to be seen.

The big problem with power quality is switch-mode power supplies and those things are everywhere these days.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Question for Smart People, Lights ON or OFF - Presto 09:07:54 07/15/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.