Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Using JRiver 19 to convert standard 44.1/16 wav to DSD

By this time, Alan will have gathered much more good experience. I tried it when I was evaluating a Schiit Loki. The unit was about to be returned to Schiit by a friend; I had just 3 days, enough to cover some basics.

Because I use a highly optimized PC, little things become more obvious than on the average good audio PS. The overhead of upsampling on the fly is always present and can be heard. JRiver makes it worse but it can be largely adjusted for, it seems. Worst case would not be "really bad" with most decently set up PCs. So, while I remain "not" a fan of JRiver for playback of classical music, it does work fine overall. (Besides, PCM gets "smoothed out" a nice little bit...hard to describe...and it may have been the Loki.) In any event, they are selling far more expensive but worse sounding PC-based playback out there.

Thus, I would encourage you to try it.

Edits: 07/14/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Using JRiver 19 to convert standard 44.1/16 wav to DSD - JBen 01:22:28 07/14/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.