Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: HDtracks 24/96 download vs same ripped from remastered CD....

The maximum possible is a good seat in a great hall, such as Symphony Hall in Boston or the smaller Jordan Hall, also in Boston. More recently, I've heard great sound in the Barre, Vermont Opera House from a set in the center of the front row. In this case, the production was partially staged, with the orchestra at the back of the stage and the set and singers in the front, about 20 feet from where I was sitting. The orchestra was small, appropriate to the Rossini opera.

I have a friend who is an organist and a leader of the Organ Historical Society and have had occasion to hear a number of organs throughout Vermont, including up close and personal. I can tell you that the sound is amazing and not something that my system can come close to reproducing, certainly not when it comes to the pedal notes. Some of these 150+ year old instruments produce truly magnificent sound. I got to wander about the empty churches and try out a variety of listening positions and find the position I liked best for the music being played at the time.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.