Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I'm going to agree with Ryelands' argument below - idle HD(SSD) is not really "idle", ...

"The O/S seldom goes to disk as most of its activity seems to come out of cached RAM."

Besides, if your OS disk is separate from your external disk holding your music library, any non-cached OS interactions will be to your internal disk which should not have a long exposed SATA cable outside the shielded computer enclosure.

As an aside, with the Mac Mini or the PC, if I use an external disk for my music library, I can unplug it while music is playing out of RAM. There is no 'activity' to the disk at this point. How could there be, it's unplugged!

Not sure about Windows but you'll find very little OS activity 'chattering' to disk in UNIX based OS's like Mac OS. That's why, in the old days anyway, one would run the UNIX 'sync' command to flush (RAM) cache to HDD before invoking the 'init 0' forced shut-down.

From the Terminal screen on my Mac

If I run the OS off the Mac Mini internal SSD (as I normally do), and the music library off the Mac Mini internal HDD, there are no SATA cables involved. Both disks are direct attached via very short flex circuit header, and tightly shielded within the machined aluminum casing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.