Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Sound Quality Changes caused by Sata cables.

There is nothing special about the construction of commercial PC's. DIY PC's are often exactly the same with the same part etc. Although not tested, they will meet spec... Meeting spec IMO can be improved upon, that is what people are doing...

You don't know that for fact. I've seen several measures taken in commercially built PC's for EMI/RFI suppression that simply do not exist (and are not required) in DIY PC's. I'm not talking only about individual components but the methods used to seal case covers, additional shielding and RFI/EMI coatings within the case, additional shielding methods sometimes used around plug-in PCIe cards, ferrite chokes and specific value bypass capacitors strategically placed, etc.

Simply slapping together a DIY PC with off the shelf case DOES NOT REQUIRE passing any certifications and there is NO WAY for the builder to know how much conducted or radiated emissions are coming from his computer without very costly test equipment and a proper test environment.

That said, there is also no way for the DIY builder to know if simply slapping some 'bypass' capacitors on his power supply rails had a beneficial or detrimental effect without measuring it.

The OP is constantly ragging on commercial DAC vendors for 'measured proof', so lets see some measured proof on his shot gun whack a mole tweaks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.