Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: It is most definately a computer using low-profile 12volt Mini ITX motherboard and....

No software until something goes wrong then the magic audiophile fairy dust blows away and the silk curtain disappears and the man (Turing) behind the curtain appears.

I've been experimenting with IPv6 and got that running on my LAN by using a Linux VM as a host for a tunnel to the Hurricane Electric service. It turned out that the minute I set this up all my Windows and Linux computers were up and operational with IPv6 addresses, which was actually something I did not want, since I had been relying on the NAT based firewall functionality of my DSL Router supplied by my ISP. While the Linux command lines needed to enable the IPv6 tunnel and routing were very short and simple and could be cut and pasted from the Hurricane Electric web site, getting the iptables and ipv6tables set up to provide firewall capability was not so convenient. (Even my Windows XP machine came up and running and it's web service was operational over IPv6 without any further configuration.)

IPv6 autoconfiguration is very simple since it just uses the MAC addresses and high order address information supplied by the IPv6 router. No klugery as with limited 32 bit addresses and NAT. (Vint Cerf has recently changed his tune and has publically admitted that ipv6 with its 128 bit addresses is the real way the Internet should have been addressed. When I first visited Vint at his office in DARPA in 1978 and told him that the 32 bit addresses in TCP/IP would not be adequate he had looked at me as if I was crazy. He told me that the entire Internet only consisted of 100 computers. My rejoinder was based on Moore's law and the observation that there would be as many computers in the world as fractional horsepower motors, i.e. several of these for every living human and that he was wasting his time if he was building a network that wouldn't scale up.)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.