Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I like Mac's ability to migrate to new Operating Systems

I have used Macs at home since the second model came out, while I used Windows machines at work. One of the things that I like about Mac is that you can generally upgrade the operating system multiple times and it still works well. So it isn't just that Macs generally run for a long time, but that they run for a long time on current operating systems. I am currently running a 2009 iMac as my main system (my music server is a 2009 Mac Mini). It originally came with Snow Leopard, but I have migrated to Lion and Mountain Lion and am only waiting for an updated hardware driver to become available before I migrate to Mavericks.

Where I worked, they never upgraded Windows except when upgrading the computers, too. The systems were fairly stable, but that stability came at the cost of flexibility. The IT people did not allow any additional software to be installed until extensive testing with the other software on the system, to prevent untoward interactions. if the software you needed was not on the approved list, you were out of luck or had to jump through extensive justification hoops as to why you really, really, REALLY needed it. One time they missed a problem. I had an "approved" new software program installed and the installation replaced a DLL that was also used by one of the more advanced Excel analytical functions, not used by most people. As a result, the Excel function that I needed stopped working. Fortunately, one of our IT people figured out the problem and restoring the older version of the DLL restored the Excel functionality.

One nice thing about being a Mac early adapter is that I got to help my PC-only colleagues learn how to use Windows when it came out, as it copied so many elements of the Mac OS. The same happened when Microsoft ported the Mac versions of Word and Excel to the Windows platform. There was hardly any learning curve at all in going from Mac Word and Excel to the Windows versions, when they were finally released.

Cheers,
Bill

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I like Mac's ability to migrate to new Operating Systems - Recorder 11:12:10 04/21/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.