Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

For "personal use", yes, as I stated in my post . . .

And as many copies as you wish if truly for personal use, as I said

But, you were NEVER allowed to then sell the original and keep the copies. That's not personal use because you no longer own the original but you continue to enjoy the use of the copyrighted material.

The author ignores this issue. He complains about how he used to be able to sell his CDs if he didn't like the music on them, and that's fine. But it is not fine if he were copying them first and then selling them, and he does not discuss the fact that people were doing that. In the analog age it hardly mattered because a copy was not a clone, but once CDs could be ripped to regular data CDRs on computers, the game changed. The law was the same, and the problems with enforcement were the same, but the temptation to violate the law increased because (1) copying was easier and faster and (2) the copies were the exact same (other than the packaging material).

He DOES have a point that now you cannot sell a digital download even if you did not copy it first. I get that, but I think the risk to the owner of the copyright would be too great if that were allowed, because who would resist the temptation of making a copy first? Especially now that there is no packaging material.

So, where I agree with him is on pricing. The market should discount the value of digital downloads because of the restriction. Unless, that is, the quality of the hi-res "product" and the convenience of unlimited clones for personal use does not tip the scale back up.

Ultimately, it's a new business model now that copies are clones. That was never true in the analog age.
___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.