Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Good article, but I find one flaw in his comparison . . .

Back in the day, when one sold the physical medium on which his music resided (i.e., an LP record, cassette tape or CD), the presumption was that he did not retain a copy. It has never been legal to make a copy first, and then sell either the original or the copy. Or even give it away. We all did that from time to time, but it was not a very threatening form of larceny, because the analogue copies we made to cassette tape were inherently inferior.

Today, one can make exact copies of digital downloads, so the presumption has to be that he would keep one while selling the other (the temptation is too great and too easy to act on) and, again, that has always been illegal. So, while "virtual", and therefore not returnable or transferrable on a physical medium, one buys not only the right to listen for the rest of his life to what he bought, but also the right make any number of physical copies for personal use that will never degrade. Is that worth the equivalent of a single transferrable copy on physical medium that might be damaged or lost? Who is to say?

I suppose a system whereby you could sell or give away a copy so long as you do not retain a copy yourself might work, but how in the world would one enforce that? As it is, I have friends who ask me all the time to let them burn a CD or two (on occasion, I have relented, but not always). I even have had a friend ask for a copy of my entire hard drive with 31 days of Apple Lossless burned CDs (I said no way, no how, and would never agree to that).

It's a tricky, evolving market.
___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.