Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: no evidence that the two versions should sound the same

"Just curious, what actually is your definition of tweaking?"

Tweaking is making changes on a purely experimental basis without any substantive underlying theory. In other words, trial and error. It may involve listening, measurement or some combination thereof.

This is how I started. My uncle had a Dynaco mono block tube amplifier and it didn't sound good. We got a bunch to test equipment and noticed that the square wave response was poor. We then changed various components in the feedback path for ones with different values and observed what we saw on the scope. Eventually by trial and error we thought we had fixed the amplifier as the square wave response was now good and the distortion and power measurements were unchanged. We hooked it up to the speaker and before long we observed that the plates of the output tubes were now becoming brighter and brighter red. Fortunately, we didn't damage the tubes or burn out the speaker. Back to the drawing boards and we tried again, this time after a little investigation of why were were getting oscillations. A proper engineering approach would have included an understanding of poles and zeros and other aspects of electrical engineering. My Uncle was an artist, textile designer, and former art professor. I was a 13 year old kid. Years later I understood what had happened.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.