Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Chris Sommovigo: The Great Digital Swindle

There are hundreds of scenarios where people could 'technically' get into trouble - even people who simply back up their physical CD collection. Granted, backing up your collection then selling the CD's off is clearly a violation. But the legal-speak surrounding backups is hazy. I don't even USE my original CD's, so they are effectively serving as the master archive. Is a CD copy ok but a HDD copy is not? Don't know. I use the files I have extracted - and I have them backed up as well because I have time invested in the extraction process. The files sit on a drive un-used. So, I have three copies - the original on physical media, the one on HDD I use, and the one on my backup HDD. Nobody can access these, nobody borrows these, nobody copies these and although it's theoretically possible for a person to play a CD upstairs WHILE I play one downstairs, well, that's getting silly. I've been at this 10+ years and I don't think I've ever even had two CD's playing at the same time, physical or otherwise.

As for copying the iTunes directory? I backed up my HDD and it copied the iTunes directory and it's now on my backup drive. Find my a judge that is going to put my in jail and/or fine me $250K because I backed up a computer HDD and the iTunes library was included in said backup. Apple users might have needed to crack or circumvent iTunes draconian CRP methods but PC users are not subject to this.

So sure, one could make semantic arguments and offer "worst case legal scenarios" against even the simple act of backing up a CD library. I have not yet seen anyone anywhere get nailed for backing up their CD or DVD music collection. Many people using "backup software" and call blatant piracy "backing up"... I'm not one of those people so I don't worry.
The point is the people who are getting nailed are always people who are taking copyrighted material and either 'copying and selling', or simply 'making available through file sharing despite no monetary gain'. In a word, they are ripping off artists and that is something I refuse to be part of. I think paying $15 for an album is SO inexpensive to get a copy of work that takes thousands of manhours to create and millions worth of equipment. It's crazy to pirate (steal) a CD of all things... it's such an incredible value, music is (for me anyways).

Cheers,
Presto

Edits: 04/17/14 04/17/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.