Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Revisiting buffer sizes (somewhat technical).

You have incorrectly ascribed the problem. The problem isn't laziness or ignorance, it is the hyper-astronomical number of system configurations most of which can never be expected to work well, let alone be tested.

It will never be possible to take a general purpose computer system where hardware and software components are designed loosely for minimum cost and maximum flexibility and produce a high quality real-time system. Such a system has to be purpose built from scratch and must be designed and configured under strict hardware and software version control. This is not how PCs are designed, built, sold, configured and used. This is precisely why I have repeatedly said that until the rest of the audio system is made sufficiently immune to all noise or jitter coming from the computer there will never be a completely satisfactory solution to computer audio playback. If you don't like this situation and can't find a suitable DAC, reclockers, power line filters, etc... then you shouldn't be using a computer, you should be using a purpose built transport.

There have been many mishaps with scientific software. People have been killed. There are whole forums on the risks of using computers.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.