Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I doubt it is "Many people"

Of the three players, JRiver, Foobar2000 and JPLAY, the only one that I've installed is Foobar2000. I do not recall any warnings that too large a buffer size might impact sound quality. The documentation that I've seen says that too small a buffer size may cause stuttering, while too large a buffer size may make the user interface sluggish. I would be extremely surprised if the official documentation for Foobar2000 includes a mention that large buffer sizes might adversely affect sound quality since the purveyor follows the dogmatic religion that "bits are just bits". The official FAQ implies as much:

Does foobar2000 sound better than other players?
No. Most of “sound quality differences” people “hear” are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of the other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now.

I repeat my request for player documentation that describes how too large a buffer size may negatively affect sound quality.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.