Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Snap Crackle and Pop

"The other approach is to "start small" with an absolutely minimal system that includes the minimum operating system that runs well enough so that you can tweak it, and than add functions needed to run the audio software, the volume holding the music library and the audio interface connecting to the DAC. This is a completely valid approach. Indeed, this is the "purist" approach. Were I to do it, I would probably start with a purpose built operating system that is stripped down totally, something like Arch Linux. That way I would have the potential advantage of being able to read the source code and understand what is going on. This is probably the fastest way to get excellent results if one has the necessary experience with the chosen software, but I haven't tried this yet because I am still a "newbie" when it comes to various Linux distros and lack the facility that I had with navigating via command line, such as I did in the 1960's with various PDP-10 operating systems."

Yes a valid and interesting approach. Here are a couple good threads.

I just picked up a Utilite Pro to play with.

Computers can be like riding a bicycle, once you get on you never forget.
But... we are just slower now and need glasses. :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/250583-building-open-embedded-audio-applicance.html

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97881-Community-Funded-Squeezebox-Replacement-Would-you-be-interested

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Snap Crackle and Pop - Bob_C 10:29:56 04/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.