Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Sonore Rendu experience & comparaisons

Hi

Just returned to Audio Asylum after several months and found an old post requesting info on this Renderer.

I've had a Sonore Rendu for 2 months. I bought it after auditioning other renderers that were available locally. In summary: the Cyrus Stream X2 was good, in the same sound-quality class as my disc source (PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport), the Krell Connect was much better at making music - all seemed more natural and relaxing to listen to but also more transparent and dynamic than the PWT. I also listened to a Naim ND5 XS which was similar in some respects to the Krell perhaps 'faster' and slightly less transparent. I decided against the Krell because of the high price, and the Naim because I did not need another DAC, and bought the Rendu unheard on the basis of the Computer Audiophile review. I initially thought the Rendu was in the same class as the Cyrus but now it has run in I think it is similar or better in sound quality to the Krell (and better than my PWT).

This strikes me as a very good result, as my network includes a wireless bridge as opposed to the direct connection of the PWT (via a transparent reference AES/EBU digital cable). The sound quality of the 75% of my music that is on the NAS now exceeds that of the remainder on CD, so I'm going to start ripping the latter!

The Rendu required no setting up: it just appeared on my network and picked up the music library on the NAS. The only active 'processor' in the system when I play music now is that in the Synology NAS. I had some minor problems trying to play 24/192 ALAC files, as I did with the Krell Connect. This was quickly sorted by having a screen-share session with Sonore. (I have received excellent service from Sonore.) A simple fix was to enable transcoding in the MinimServer software running on the NAS. This converts the ALAC to WAV which plays without any problem. Only once have I managed to get the music to hiccup - I was using iPlayer on the TV at the same time as playing 24/192 music! A totally unrealistic situation. So I'd recommend the Sonore Rendu strongly.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - Sonore Rendu experience & comparaisons - David L 15:50:11 04/07/14 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.