Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Conversations end quick when you invent language & terms

Sorry you were confused. Unfortunately, computer audio technology is complicated.

The definition of "transport" and "DAC" represent the division of commercial products into components, e.g. a one box "CD player" became a two box "tranport" and "DAC processor". Such definition evolves over time with the development of technology. For example, back in the days of reel to reel tape machines, a tape deck often consisted of a "transport" and the electronics, This was the start of definition and it carried over into CD players and later two box CD players. With solid state storage electronics this mechanical-electronic division becomes inoperative since there may be no moving parts at all associated with media storage. When one starts talking about more complex networked systems then it becomes even more complex because the control function of the traditional transport (e.g. start/stop, ff/rew) may be completely separated from the device that is generating the bit stream and there may be distant devices that hold media storage that are serving as file storage, not media transport.

Given this situation, I think it best not to niggle about details. The context of my post was to make it clear that my understanding of computer audio was that it included all of the components that would affect good quality sound out of a computer based audio system and hence that my comments suggesting one would be better advised to concentrate on making a DAC immune (or installing reclockers or other isolation devices) properly belonged in this asylum, and not some other one such as Hi-Res or Digital. My intent has been to discuss getting good sound out of computer based systems and not to disparage them, so I do not believe my comments are out of place, as some people have implied.

There is also a question of what constitutes a "DAC section". One needs to be quite precise about the engineering details of this if one wants to have a system that is immune to jitter. Since the clock that maps the digital bit stream into an analog waveform is obviously part of the DAC then it should count as part of the DAC. However, if this clock actually controls the rate (timing and pitch) of the music one could say that the clock is actually part of the transport. So the definition of "DAC section" gets complicated and subject to debate unless there is a precise definition (which many non-technical audiophiles probably wouldn't understand) and detailed engineering design details (which are seldom if even available for commercial products).

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.