Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Good thing that you DON'T NEED any support.

No need for support, at least on hardware that is already running and never connected to the Internet. However, over time there will be new hardware that will require new drivers, etc., and these may not be available for an obsolete OS. So eventually, one will have to face this issue. If one finds an existing machine suitable on can just keep it running, but eventually it will be necessary to replace failed parts and new ones may not be available and NOS parts may be hard to locate.

I have two older machines that still run XP. Both machines are way too small in RAM to even think about running newer Windows OS. I plan to migrate the newer one to Linux. I will be junking the older one because I have been unable to find a current Linux distro that runs reliably on this older laptop (which may have hardware issues). Eventually it will be cheaper to junk the remaining machine because of electricity cost, since this machine runs 24/7.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Good thing that you DON'T NEED any support. - Tony Lauck 08:04:16 04/05/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.