Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Been to HD Tracks Lately?

I have compared the original DSD with a few different PCM conversions, at both 96/24 and 88/24. These were obtained from several web sites. It all cases the original DSD sounded better. In my estimation, sufficiently better to justify purchase of this format when buying the recording for the first time. I'm not sure that it is sufficiently better, however, to justify repurchase of an album one already has in hi-res PCM, except for demonstration purposes (don't need too many such recordings) or to satisfy one's curiosity.

If one is interested in classical music, then eclassical.com is a much better site, IMO. It allows preview of complete recordings to get an idea of the musical and artistic performance. The pricing is reasonable, as well, especially when music is on sale, often at 50% off. Nothing is more annoying to me than blowing a lot of money for a high resolution recording, only to discover that the music or performance is dreck.

If it is sound quality that one is going after, then without doubt, the best sites are Channel Classics and Blue Coast Records, both of which provide DSD downloads of excellent recordings, and if one's taste is so inclined, excellent musical performances as well.

I have no personal use for pop or rock music and find the HDtracks web site and email marketing obnoxious, because they are constantly pushing stuff that I have no interest in.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

Edits: 12/23/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.