Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Digital Front End to consider besides SB Touch

I don't know what kind of DAC you now have, but if it can handle USB asynchronous input, and if you already have a hard drive for your music, you may want to consider picking up a used 2009 Mac Mini, which, with a little patience, you should be able to pick up for around $300. Add the Audirvana Plus media player for $49 (or Fidelia for $19) and you are ready to go. Just rip your CDs into AIFF (or Apple lossless) format using XLD and start listening.

With this sort of set-up, you would have lots of options to upgrade your system into something better later by adding more RAM or a solid state hard drive to the Mac Mini (to run the OS), or by upgrading the player software.

If your DAC cannot accept USB input, then you could still do this, but you would need to add perhaps another $100 to buy a USB-to-S/PDIF converter, such as the Musical Fidelity V-Link, which is now available new for $104 on eBay (as a Buy-It-Now).

Happy listening!

Cheers,
Bill

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Digital Front End to consider besides SB Touch - Recorder 11:24:12 08/03/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.