Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

More Info

There was a request for more/budget info.

Criteria:

1. Get started with computer audio without busting my head or my budget right out of the gate.

2. DAC sufficient to equal sound of Sony SCD-777es. I'd like to equal the 777es, but since this is my first time out don't want to spend more that necessary to equal it. Improvemnts can come later. So I'm willing to spend what it takes to get up to the 777 but don't see the added value of moving beyond that the first time out.

I'm not opposed to a $1,500-2000 DAC, but I was hoping that I might get 777 equivalet sound at less than $1,000 (the 777 is now 12 years old, so I'm guessing current equivalent technology should be less expensive).

3. Also since this is a "starter" attempt, I plan to just hook into my existing home computer network system. Not interested at this point of investing in some fire-breathing dedicated tricked-out computer or dedicated components. I just want to get started with a sound close to what I have with the 777.

Am I expecting too much from a simple squeezebox + DAC setup?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • More Info - Audio Snob 12:57:18 07/21/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.