Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Just so!!

Your claim that the computer is not in the audio signal path is perfectly logical but that kind of logic clearly does not have any traction in the Asylum! Its almost impossible to prove a negative.

Go back to the OP and read between the lines. The fellow is coming from a Grand Tradition of over 50 years of audiophilia. One of the most spectacular bits of pseudoscience is that cables have a sweeping impact on the quality of reproduced audio. Certain effects, such as using a grossly undersized wire for speaker cable, are clearly audible in repeatable experiments. Beyond that, an entire industry has arisen and rides on our backs peddling things like $1000 AC power cords.

We want to believe a data cable has "sound" because we can easily buy a shiny new one, plug it in and say we hear improvement in the music. We choose to ignore all the hideous connectors, crappy power supply, unshielded cables, noise of every imaginable sort, etc. just a few centimeters away inside the PC case, because its hard to get in there and work on any of that.

Why do I complain? Because cable mania sends an unfortunate message to the audio industry that "We want to be ripped off!" Instead the message could be "We want better recording quality, less compression and processing, more and better downloadable music" - things that could have a huge positive impact on the listening experience.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Just so!! - mr.bear 11:22:30 07/10/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.