Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I have to Agree With Fmak and Carcass

If you take a careful note of what I have written you will see that there are two limitations to my comments about large changes in the sound. First, the same bits have to be sent to the DAC. Second the DAC has to send timing information to the computer, rather than the usual way (e.g. SPDIF) whereby the computer sends timing information to the DAC.

You don't post your system and you write about various DACs. When you hear large differences it may be that your system is running in a mode where the DAC is not in charge of timing. In this case, it would not surprise me that you hear large differences when making changes to the computer.

You haven't explained how you verified that changes to the computer still sent the same bits to the DAC. Unless one performs careful tests to verify that the same bits are being sent, then the most likely cause of a large change in sound is a change to the bits.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.