Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: An ill-formed question

"Even when a storage device affects sound quality it can do so only indirectly (unless it is way too slow or gets a data error). The effect is through other parts of the system designed to produce sound on the basis of the bits taken off of mass storage. If these devices work well then none of the storage devices would affect sound in any way. Since they generally don't do so well there might be changes in sound quality, but these will be characteristic of an interaction between the storage device or storage cabling and the audio components."

I think this sums things up very well. I have 2 Thunderbolt drives; a Promise Pegasus and a G-RAID Thunderbolt. Both seem to sound better than my stable of OWC drives using Firewire 800 or eSATA to my MacBook Pro 17.

But to add more confusion to the discussion, the two Thunderbolt drives sound different from each other. So I question if speed is the only determining factor here.

Add the Synergistic Active SE Thunderbolt cable, and the sound changes again. (For the better in my opinion).

Would a PC with Thunderbolt using the same drives have the same outcomes I have had with the Mac? Who knows?

So in the end, each individual will have to try these things to really know if there is a difference in his system. General comments like FOS, etc, don't really explain what is going on.

Edits: 07/09/12 07/09/12 07/09/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.