Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Just to clarify

Normally the service department only contacts me about a case that they are having trouble solving on their own. The factory has closed for the weekend so I can't check up on this at the moment.

This is the first time I have heard of the Thesycon driver causing some sort of conflict with a computer. On the one hand the fact that the problem went away when you uninstalled the driver seems to indicate something was amiss. Normally I would recommend re-installing it, but this can only be done while the QB-9 is attached (and the switch set to Class 2 audio). This done so that people can't just steal the Thesycon driver from our website and use it with other brands of DAC's. (We have to pay Thesycon for this driver and they don't want others to be able to steal it.)

On the other hand I don't understand how a problem with the driver would cause the strange display you described on the QB-9 in your original post. If you still had the DAC there are a lot of things we could try in order to locate the source of the problem.

For what it's worth I have seen many Windows-based laptops having strange problems waking up from "sleep" mode. Just last night my wife's Thinkpad (last of the IBM models running Win 2000) gave a error when trying to print. I told her that the first thing to always try is to simply reboot, and of course this solved the problem. I have a much newer Thinpad (a Lenovo product running Win 7 Professional 64-bit) and I put it to sleep every day. Usually after a week of this something goes amiss and I have to reboot to solve the problem.

In your case rebooting seemed to cause the problem. I have never run into this before, so cannot provide any definitive solution. If you still had the DAC we could try a lot of different things. However one thing is for certain -- sooner or later we will be able to solve the problem. We never give up and always keep working until everything is right.

Perhaps you can borrow a different sample (eg, a demonstration unit) from your dealer and see if that is the problem. Also you may try downloading the driver from the website again. The current version is 1.26 and can be downloaded from a link on the instruction page linked below. Please also note the following warning from that instruction page:

If you are installing the Thesycon driver to allow operation beyond 96 kHz in Windows, be sure to uninstall any other ASIO drivers (such as ASIO4ALL) that you may have installed. If both drivers are installed there will be conflicts and your computer will not operate properly.

Also simply running the DAC in Class 1 audio with the native Windows USB driver would allow us to figure out if the problem is with the hardware or the software. Another common cause of problems is poor USB cable, but this would cause clicks or pops in the audio and not the "blue screen of death" on the computer. Hang in there and I am certain that we will be able to solve the problem sooner or later.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.