Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

The whole is more than the sum of the parts.

That's a better argument, but it's probably not one that a chip designer is going to make. :-)

Some boutique designers have a bias against use of integrated circuits. They feel these don't justify their value added and don't enable them to sell products at a high price due to obvious component and build costs. I am not a target customer for these designers. I am interested in how something sounds and not in how this sound is technically achieved. I don't look for additional ego satisfaction from having spent a lot of money.

Really great designers know how to make the best out of any set of components. I had a friend who ran a small company that designed, manufactured and sold instrumentation sensors. These products were built entirely from inexpensive off the shelf components. The value added was in the way different components were combined to make the final product. A competitor could reverse engineer the product, but if they ordered the cheap parts the result would be a non-working unit. They could combine off-the shelf parts and get working units, but it would be at the extra cost of premium high precision parts.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.