Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Interesting Opinions considering

Yes, I use Pure Music -and- the only reason I installed more RAM is because Pure Music takes advantage of it for 'memory play', i.e. pre-loading a number of tracks into RAM just prior to playing the music (so there is no disk access while the music is playing). Pure Music is cheap, RAM is cheap.

Before that, I had a whopping 3GB which was plenty with plenty of free RAM as there was no paging to disk.

As for improved sound, Pure Music and memory play help a little but not by a huge amount relative to upgrading the DAC and other downstream components. I have always said that the DAC and the downstream components play a much bigger role in the grand scheme of audio quality with the computer being fairly minor.

Interesting.... Sounds like a waste of money and time then...

I agree, as the money and time spent on the computer is mostly a waste as the big 'bang for the buck' and most noticeable differences are downstream of the computer itself.

I do not subscribe to the belief that the fastest CPUs with the most RAM and latest generation SSDs (or fastest disks) are necessary to build an outstanding music server.

For example, the data rates do not warrant anything more than a lowly (and quiet running) 5400rpm laptop style 2.5" disk. I use faster disks and I/O for backups but not for music playback.

I will qualify all of the above with the fact that none of my music files are greater than 96KHz/24-bit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Interesting Opinions considering - AbeCollins 14:31:30 07/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.