Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

More Comments on the Audioquest DragonFly

The Audioquest DragonFly has been previously discussed in this and other forums. It is a USB DAC that is based on the ESS Sabre and is the size of a USB flash drive. The DragonFly has a software analog volume control that is tied to the system wide volume control. It has a 3.5mm stereo output jack that will drive most headphones and long cables due to its low impedance. The DragonFly supports up to 96/24. What is particulary nice about this product is that it uses the Wavelength Streamlength USB interface that is rock stable with OSX and Windows. Gordon Rankin designed the DAC for Audioquest.

I connected the output of the DragonFly to my Stax SRM007 TII amp that drove Stax SR007 Omega II headphones. I felt that this offered a significant improvement in sound quality over the direct output Sennheiser HD 600 headphones I had previously listened to.

The sound from the DragonFly was very good in that there was no hardness or brightness. The sound was balanced with decent bass. I was impressed with the midrange and high end detail I was hearing from such an inexpensive DAC. I listened using 88.2/24 and 96/24 files with Decibel. / OSX Lion. It is a very musical sounding DAC.

Besides being a great product for travel purposes, it will make a wonderful DAC to test the waters with computer audio. For those thinking of trying computer audio and not interested in spending a great deal of money, this $250 USB DAC is damn good.

Edits: 07/04/12 07/04/12 07/04/12 07/04/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - More Comments on the Audioquest DragonFly - Mercman 14:08:47 07/04/12 (82)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.