Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

large = subjective Re: differences in sound

Therefore a real measure can not be established.

The differences that exist are small and difficult to reliably confirm.

In my last experiment the difference between 32bit and 64bit Linux was obvious [to me] which goes back to my subjective comment. Although I believe it would be obvious to others it might not be...however I have to build my system according to the reality that I sense.

They pale into insignificance compared to differences between good and excellent recordings.

Although I hate to bring up quality of gear. But the quality of gear can come into play here...surely low fidelity gear may not be able to bring forth the excellent attributes of an excellent recording. However the further two types of recording are from the apex of the bell curve the more difference between them can be heard even with low-fidelity gear [I suppose, don't know for sure because I don't have any low-fi gear:-)]

IMO money should be spent on the DAC and then on one's record library.

Absolutely, once you get a good Dac the search should be over and funds should be spent on music instead of pursuing endless [probably lateral] upgrade.

After the computer has been made to produce consistent results one's time should be spent listening to music.

Consistently good or consistently bad? I am sure you mean acceptable ie listenable. But even you use cMP correct, this is top notch music playback as supposed to iTunes on a Windows machine. However iTunes on Windows will give you consistent results.

IMO, if one is an audiophile and not a music lover one is a really big fool.

Ahhh, Audiophile vs. Stereophile. One loves music while the other has a compulsive addiction to satisfy.

Just my .02

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.