Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

As Steve Martin used to say on Saturday Night Live

"I blame yourself." (Actually he said, "I blame myself" but in this case I'll make an exception. I won't blame myself.)

We put a switch on the unit so that it would be compatible with any computer made in the last ten years or fifteen years. If you are using any Mac OS prior to Snow Leopard, or an older version of Linux, or don't want to install any drivers for Windows, then just set the switch for Class 1 USB Audio. You will be limited to 96 kHz maximum sampling rate, but this is not much of a limitation in the real world. Probably less that 0.001% of all music ever recorded is even available at resolutions higher than 96 kHz.

On the other hand if you want the capability to go to 192 kHz then you need Mac Snow Leopard or newer, a newer version of Linux, or install the Thesycon driver in Windows XP or newer (or maybe Microsoft will include it as part of Win 8). You also have to flip the switch on the back.

It's really not a big deal and it makes the unit compatible with any computer that has a USB port (which is pretty much every computer made for the last ten or fifteen years). I don't really understand why you think this is such a bad idea.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.