Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Quality control of computer parts for audio can result in significant sonic difference

I currently have two virtually identical computers except for the motherboard (because I could not get the same Gigabyte motherboard a few months later) and the OS (the first has XP, the other has Vista). Sonically the two computers couldn’t sound more different. IMO Vista sucks big time but maybe it’s the particular Gigabyte motherboard model that sucks. I have used cMP/cPlay, MediaMonkey, XXHighEnd, JRMC, Audiogate and perhaps some others, though these are my preferred players. They all suck on my Vista computer, though I could never get XXHighEnd to work on my XP computer. Fortunately I have another but significantly different Vista computer (stock Dell) and XXHighEnd sounds great.

If my only venture into computer audio was with my Gigabyte MB /Vista computer, I would rant that computer audio SUCKS BIGTIME and that CD players are superior. Since I have other computer music servers, I know better.

I don’t think that you missed anything. I would also say that the cMP/cPlay code is fantastic. My advice is to ditch the inferior sounding computer (use it for something else) and move on.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.