Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Are you asking a question?

I'm not clear from your post, but I think you are asking if drivers are required with the Ayre QB-9.

If so, the answer is "maybe".

When we first introduced the unit, no operating system would support 192 kHz without installing third-party drivers. However, shortly after the QB-9 was released Apple released a new version of OS-X (Snow Leopard, 10.6.4) that would support 192 kHz USB audio. At the same time we worked together with Wavelength to supply a driver so that Windows (XP and newer) would also support 192 kHz. I am told that the current version of Linux also has a USB driver that supports 192 kHz audio.

Summary - When the unit was released, it would operate up to 96 kHz on any modern operating system without additional drivers (still true). Currently it will operate on newer versions of Apple and Linux up to 192 kHz without additional drivers. For Windows, our supplied driver (free download from the Ayre website) will allow the unit to go beyond 96 kHz, up to 192 kHz.

I've heard rumors that the official release of Windows 8 will support 192 kHz USB audio with the native driver, but I don't know if this will actually transpire.

Hope this helps. For more information, visit our website and/or call the factory.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.