Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Well then let me pitch my DAC too! :-)

I have the bel canto 2.5 for $1,995 retail, and it's virtually identical little brother, the 1.5, is $1,395. Only difference is an upgraded power supply (which you can do later for the 1.5 anyway), analog input and a display that shows more information at the same time. Otherwise they are identical and both sound great. Both have a nice headphone amp built in, can serve as preamp (digital only for 1.5), and have multiple digital inputs.

I have not heard the Ayre. I understand it's stellar. What I can say about the 2.5 is that it's clear as a bell and gutsy at the same time, with awesome bass extension and control, and offers lots of functionality for the money.

Some things that might drive "purists" away:
1. Adaptive USB implementation, that only accepts 96kh sampling
2. Switching power supply.
3. Upsamples to 24/192, which is not defeatable.

But man does it sound good. I think it proves that, when done right, all three of the above are just fine.
___
"If you are the owner of a new stereophonic system, this record will play with even more brilliant true-to-life fidelity. In short, you can purchase this record with no fear of its becoming obsolete in the future."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Well then let me pitch my DAC too! :-) - JoshT 21:40:58 06/30/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.