Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Aye-yi-yi

"Nothing is easy! I need to do more research. The last thing I want to do is re-rip 544 GB of music and backup on two new drives."

Answers would come easier if you gave more detail on exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Why do you think you need to 're-rip'? You probably don't need to.

What format did you rip your current music files to? MP3, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, AAC, Apple Lossless, etc?

You never told us if your drives are formatted FAT or NTFS. And you never told us if you wish to make the leap and 'switch' to Mac or do you want to share your disks between a Mac and a PC?

Knowing more detail will allow others to offer more focused suggestions instead of having to guess at what you are trying to accomplish.

Mac can read/write to a drive formatted as FAT but as bwb pointed out, it can only read NTFS. How is your drive presently formatted?

If the drive is formatted as FAT, it will simply work with the Mac and PC. If it is formatted NTFS, the Mac will be able to play the music files from it but you won't be able to rip new content to it.

If you plan to truly switch to Mac, the preferred file system for the drives will be "Mac OS X Extended".

If you have 544GB of content, all you need is a 640GB drive (or maybe go for 1TB). Format the new drive as "Mac OS Extended" and simply copy your music files over to the new drive (drag and drop the folders to the new drive). OR.... if you don't know how to use the Mac's Disk Utility to format a new drive, buy one that is already "Mac Compatible" then drag and drop your content to it.

Good luck.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Aye-yi-yi - AbeCollins 08:04:43 06/06/12 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.