Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Amarra 2.4

Sonic Studio released Amarra 2.4 today. Truth be told, I really didn’t want to listen to Amarra as previous versions have been disappointing in one way or another. But I’m happy to report that I’m glad I did!

I listened to Amarra in Playlist mode with iTunes turned off. All of the files loaded into Playlist are placed into memory if the Cache is activated. This provides the best sound quality from Amarra.

Gapless playback worked most of the time. I did run into an issue of the 4 tracks of a complete title not loading the 4th file. It appears to me that Playlist is sensitive to memory and could use some refinement, but for the most part, it worked well.

To say that I was impressed with the sonic quality of Amarra is an understatement. Amarra does two things better than any other OSX music program I have heard. First, it is the most analog sounding in that the sound is richer, more body to images, and plays with greater ease than any other program I have yet heard. Complex choral works that previously sounded overloaded in other programs, played beautifully with Amarra. Symphonic works also sounded more natural with less hardness to the sound.

The second attribute of Amarra was that it was the most holographic sounding program I have ever listened to. It seems to have the greatest front to back depth in the soundstage and is able to separate multiple voices and instruments into their own acoustic space better than the other OSX programs. Even with studio pop/ rock recordings, focus and delineation of voices is more three dimensional.

I wish Sonic Studio would make an iPhone/iPad program to allow one to control Playlist. The lack of the remote feature is a significant disappointment for an otherwise excellent sounding program.

In the ever changing landscape of OSX music programs, “top dog” is not a guaranteed permanent placement. But Amarra 2.4 is definitely worth an audition.

Steve

Edits: 05/04/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Amarra 2.4 - Mercman 09:52:24 05/04/12 (44)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.