Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: The "preamp" version also does DSD, through the XMOS chipset via USB.

As far as I know, there are only reasons to get the Mastering version rather than the preamp version:

1. The price is about $100 lower, which might matter to someone who already has a preamp or who has no analog sources.
2. It can be used to take DSD extracted in the form of an SDIF signal and put it into a file in the computer. This is an inexpensive way of capturing the output of a DSD analog to digital converter or (more likely of interest to audiophiles) solving the second half of the problem of ripping SACDs. Unfortunately, solving the first part remains either expensive or requires DIY hardware and/or software skills.

I am waiting reports for how this product sounds, especially when playing PCM files, as these are the vast majority of my library.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The "preamp" version also does DSD, through the XMOS chipset via USB. - Tony Lauck 09:29:33 05/01/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.