Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Link for the above

Why does a difference in the digital file that's bounded at -138.47 dB below 0 dBfs manage to affect a graph around -100 dB?

Perhaps I misread or misunderstood the graph, but I believe this is the nub of the issue. I doubt seriously that people can hear changes in noise that is -139 below peak levels, but I know from personal experience that I can just barely hear sound that's at -97 dB below 0 dB FS, and that's using monitor gain settings that I actually use for one or two recordings in my library (both Mahler symphonies). For solo harpsichord recordings the monitor gain would be turned down another 15 dB and this noise would be inaudible to me in my room.

I suspect some artifact of the DAC is magnifying the small difference and turning it into slightly different noise. (Technically, this is called noise modulation.) If my suspicion is correct, this is a serious indictment of the DACs in question, including mine (as I heard a difference). This calls for a new test of DAC performance.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.