Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Please, allow me to disagree

Hello, everybody.
First, Thanks to the OP for this excercise. It is very important to do such things in order to understand, where we are on the hi-fi scale, where the general quality of reproductioon is concerned.
Next, when I was performing this AB, I was using a cue, I have created with just these two files, going on and on. I started in the early morning with very good power and a fresh head. In the middle of the test my monitor - an old crt display - I used for cmp, went dead, and though I have a working machine close by, I was too lazy to re-plug another monitor to the cmp machine, so the test went almost blind. I marked the files in my mind as Good and Bad, went to make coffee, take a shower, all sorts of things, so I could not sometimes hear and follow exactly what file was playing after a time. I was using 6" two-way very cheap powered monitors, if it matters, but every time, when I came back, after a cycle of playback has been completed, I heard the difference, and pretty soon could tell, Yeah, this one is the good fellow. When I finally, switched on another monitor, I WAS RIGHT.
So this only means that after some training our mind LEARNS to discriminate between very subtle things. Also, it shows well, that our cmp (tweaked one) is so resolving, as to unveil such differences easily.
Serge.
I agree that the memory thing can be misleading and tends to fog the things, but not to a degree, when You can't discern the obvious, when You try to be really attentive and place sonic "hooks" in Your mind on what to pay attention to next time.
Also, as somebody, who spent a LOT of time with graphics, I know about different dithering algorythms and how discernible they can get, especially in grayscale to monochrome conversion, so technically, there is nothing wrong with this test, especially as I think, our ears are LESS forgiving than our eyes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.