Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Fully committed Computer Audio-phile with lots of sacd's

Email sent.

DSD-to-PCM conversion can be done a few ways. The main 2 are:
1) use a good src and convert to something like 24/176k or whatver your DAC is capable of. My guide walks you through doing this in Audiogate, a free Korg utility.
2) on-the-fly via many of the Windows and Mac-based players. Each player has a setup rotuine that allows for realtime DSD-to-PCM conversion, with sample rate choices, etc.

Option 1 creates duplicate PCM files; option 2 leaves your DSD files as is.

As alluded to above, I helped pioneer the idea of using an HDMi de-embedder back 2 yrs ago, which is to grab 24 bit PCM off the SACD-to-processor HDMI stream and feed it to a very inexpensive HDMi de-embedder like Monoprice, Atlona, etc...but this option is less sonically preferable. HDMI is wrought with jitter, a few SACD players downrez to only 16 bit, and several more do only 24/88 DSD-to-PCM anyway (mediatek chip max).....and recording the output is a PITA, since it is realtime and requires some real work, track splicing,etc. :)

There was a time when folks like Shawn Fogg would produce a dedicated DSD-to-PCM board that several SACD players could handle via simple mods, resulting in 3-4 SPDIF 24 bit SACD output..but those are no longer readily available. Mytek and a few others have modded a Sony player or two with SDIF outputs (as alluded to above) but these modded options still requires spinning discs of course.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.