Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Six Years Ago - me too

I used the word "religion" to describe your adopting the cics approach.

Inevitably, using terms like "cics religion" in our context ends any meaningful discussion. Perhaps that was your intention.

I can accept that some folk might have an overly uncritical attitude to what you call cMP2 "dogma" but the above seems to suggest that any acceptance (partial, critical, downright zealous, whatever) of ideas he outlined on this forum has a touch of the religious about it.

Those who defend the project as technically viable have at least had the benefit of having tried it. Is it not about as dogmatic as one can get to belittle a project you've never heard given that's it's little more than a list of OS & BIOS config changes and a couple of freeware programs? (Almost all the hardware changes discussed on the threads have come from others and have been replicated on or derived from non-cMP2 systems.)

I think it's risible. I've never heard an SB Touch, let alone one jazzed-up up with soundcheckk's tweaks. So, though I'm a touch sceptical of its merits, I say nothing. Though JRiver was for me a sonic disaster, I again do not comment as it has crossed my mind that the fault might just be mine, not the product's. Nor do I comment on the SQ of Mac-based systems (though I do poke fun at some of the damn-fool things that some Mac advocates say with - unlike Mercman, an honourable exception - ne'er a smile).

The explanations that cics presented early on were not convincing to me.

What? All of them? Come, come.

Of course cics (who, BTW, hasn't posted on the forum for at least two years) is a physicist by training and you're a programmer - very different mindsets. I'd hesitate to suggest that either has an exclusive hold on the truth though, to listen to some of the programmers who post here, there are those who cannot conceive that there's more than one way to strangle a cat or that programmers' abstractions are not universally applicable.

I did listen to see if I heard any differences along the way. I heard nothing that required me to abandon or significantly revise my personal BS filter.

Your loss, I'm afraid.

Edits: 04/24/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.