Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Using Integer mode and USB hub to avoid clicks - worth trying?

"As for needing 4GB. Yes, I agree that it's cheap and no big deal to get that much RAM but the point is there should NEVER be a need to dedicate anywhere near 4GB even for 24/192 music gapless for any reasonable programmer! Sadly, audiophilia lacks reason."

"Never" is a strong word. I have an album (Linn St. Matthew Passion) that has many gapless tracks and would require more than 4 GB to fit entirely in RAM. There would be a potential benefit in preloading the entire play list as this would avoid any electrical pollution caused by reloading RAM while music was playing. Indeed, if the sound card or USB controllers supported 64 bit addressing and 64 bit word counts one could avoid all CPU processing during music playback (except for occasional processing to support a user interface with its "stop" button).

If one is forced to work within the constraints of an existing operating system with its memory layout and process structure there can be many benefits from having lots of real memory. This is true, for example, with Windows 7. The most obvious benefit comes from the ability to disable the page file and resulting overheads. It is possible to strip down a general purpose operating system so that it requires less memory and doesn't page, but this is not something that can be done lightly and this is difficult to do intelligently with a proprietary operating system that is not open source. I got a substantial improvement in sound quality in addition to better system stability and performance on my Windows 7 Professional system after upgrading memory from 4 GB to 12 GB. (This machine is used as an audio workstation, it's not used to playback music so stripping down the operating system was not much of an option.)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Using Integer mode and USB hub to avoid clicks - worth trying? - Tony Lauck 07:12:51 04/20/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.