Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

ethernet cable and sound

I am starting a (cheap-ish) trial of running different ethernet cables between my TP-Link 743 router (working as a wireless client)and my SB Touch. It appears that some companies are coming out with fancy (aka expensive) LAN cables. I guess from a scientific stand point, ethernet cable doesn't matter as long as it is up to spec (maybe it should matter even less in my set-up since signal goes through wireless first). But then again, our hobby has convinced us with some "phenomenons" that are not quite scientific to begin with.

Since I was just using some cheap LAN cable that came with routing equipment, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try some better built cable anyway(though I am not yet convinced enough to get a multi-hundred dollar LAN cable). I eventually bought a $30 Monster cable Cat6 cable (gold plated plugs with some custom plastic casing and thicker than normal construcion. Stranded) and a Elecom Laneed Cat7 cable (about $12)(shielded, gold plated plugs and has a little bit of metal covering on the plug. Feels like a solid core construction. Slightly thicker than generic ones that come with routers).

Initial trial seems to indicate that there is indeed a sound quality difference, with the original cheap lan cable sounding robust but a little homogeneous, the Monster sounding a little relaxed and warm (but possibly a little too much so), and the Elecom sounding cleaner in the treble, bigger soundstage, but slightly less (though tighter) bass. Since the two cables have not been run-in, I'll probably give it a little time before deciding. At this point, my preference goes to the Elecom.

Has anyone given LAN cables a try and what has been your experience? How about experience with the fancy ones from Cardas, Audioquest, Furutech, etc?

Thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - ethernet cable and sound - eduardoo 23:24:32 04/12/12 (27)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.